Continuous Value Delivery
In agility the focus shifts from output to outcome. Continuous customer feedback is key to successful value delivery. This could be only achieved by disciplined, iterative, incremental development and frequent (continuous) deployment. Product Owners play the key role in this process by defining and constantly redefining value.
Short-term Goals (3–12 months)
- Company products (services/solutions), their purpose, boundaries, structure are defined or redefined to fit an iterative-incremental development model. Business and product development organizational structures are reviewed with changes suggested.
- Budgeting, forecasting and reporting policies were reviewed with changes suggested.
- Value streams are identified and objective and subjective measures (Key Value Indicators) are in place to verify value delivered.
- Product Owner role (responsibilities and accountabilities) is defined. Preliminary version of Product Owner’s checklist is created.
- Individual Product Owners’ potential and growth areas are identified. Development means (such as Community of Practice, training, mentoring and coaching) to help individuals follow the guidelines are provided. Learning reinforcement mechanisms (objectives, reviews, assessments) are in place.
- Product Backlogs are the primary product development strategy communication mean to the Development Teams and to the stakeholders. Their transparency, completeness, usefulness is measured and consistently confirmed by all interested parties.
Long-term Goals (2–6 years)
- Budgeting, forecasting and reporting policies were adjusted to fit an iterative-incremental development model. Legal policies including contractor agreements were reviewed and altered to fit iterative-incremental development model.
- Product Owners are solely accountable for strategic decisions regarding product (services/solutions) development.
- Product Owners performance is assessed according to Key Value Indicators (including TCO) and value delivered.
- Product Owner’s checklist is fully maintained and sustained by the Product Owners Community of Practice. All Product Owners fulfill its expectations.
- Product and value definition constantly evolve to respond to market needs and company vision. Product development organizational structure follows.
- Business agility foundations and learning culture are clearly in place.
Means to achieve goals
- Coaching, mentoring, shadowing, supervision, providing constant feedback.
- Suggesting and providing impromptu workshops and training.
- Fostering Community of Practice and cross-learning.
- Disciplined Change Management
- Change Catalysts
- Reliable Teams
- Continuous Value Delivery
- Effective Leadership
Engagement Guidelines v1.0–CVD–0.4 © 2006 – 2018 Tomek Włodarek. All rights reserved.